Skilled Trades Blog

Do I Need my Ozone Depletion Prevention Certificate?

Posted by Brad Dixon


If you are working in the HVAC industry, you have likely heard of the Ozone Depletion Prevention (ODP) Certification. But after going to school to complete your G3 and G2 license, as well as possibly air conditioning training and numerous other work-related training sessions, I'm sure you're wondering "Do I really need to get my ODP certificate, too?"

If you are working with CFCs, HCFCs, or HFCs, for example, the answer is yes.

The law

As ruled by the Government of Canada, the removal, handling, and disposal of refrigerants that contain ozone depleting substances and other hydrocarbons can only be performed by a certified technician. The program was designed in 1987 (and amended in 1990 and 1992) to protect the environment and the ODP certification is issued on behalf of Ontario's Ministery of the Environment and Climate Change. You should carry your ODP card at all times.

ODP Certificate Card

To purchase and handle refrigerants and hydrocarbons, you must have an ODP certificate card. To get this card, you must complete a government-approved environmental awareness training course, which takes 1 day to complete.

The ODP course is the only way you complete yoru ODP Certification and ODP Card. In this course, you will learn about environmentally correct equipment design, proper handling of CFC/HCFC/HFC and fully comply with provincial regualtions.

The course covers:

  • CFC’s and the Ozone Layer
  • Isolation Valuing
  • Recommended Components
  • Leak Detection Methods
  • System Charging Procedures
  • Special Maintenance Provisions
  • Refrigerant Recover
  • Reuse, Recycle and Reclamation Equipment

Upon completion of the course, you must complete an examination and receive a mark of 75% or higher.

New Call-to-action


Topics: ODP, Ozone Depletion Prevention