Skilled Trades Blog

Where does my career go after getting my G3 and G2?

Posted by Brad Dixon on Aug 9, 2017 11:28:34 AM

The first thing to do once you complete both your Gas Technician 3 and Gas Technician 2 certifications is to take a minute to congratulate yourself. You worked hard, passed your exams, and are ready to take on the workforce. But you're probably wondering how you actually go about taking on the workforce.

Gas and Propane

The gas and propane industry is one place you can start out in the workforce once you're certified with your G3 and G2 licences. When working with a gas company, of any size, you'll find yourself installing, maintaining, and repairing gas lines. These gas lines can be in commercial, residential, and public settings depending on the company that you work for.

If you're working in residential buildings, your skills working with things like barbecues and furnaces will also make you a great fit. Clients will be able to hire you to help them with these home appliances.

Skilled Trades vs. Construction

With your G3 or G2 certification you are not simply limited to being an Ontario Gas Fitter forever. The doors of most skilled trades careers are wide open to you with your Ontario Gas Technician training. You may be able to obtain an apprenticeship in other trades, and through those connections and training opportunities start a full career within that field.

You can also find work within the construction field. During your Ontario gas technician training you'll be trained on safety standards for the use of power tools and devices to check gas temperature and flow, which makes you a valuable asset on any construction site, whether it's commercial, industrial, or residential.

Consider Your G1

An optional component of your Gas Technician training can be to continue your learning and complete your Gas Technician 1 certification. This is not required to move on to the workforce, but can be a valuable asset in your career long-term.

To complete this, you will need to offer proof that you have been working in the field for 2 years, completing 4, 000 hours of experience as a G2 certificate holder. 500 of those hours must be completed on systems that have a firing rate of over 400,000 BTUs. With this level of licensing you will be able to work on equipment over 400,000 BTUs.

For more information on how to get your career started, and what your G3 and G2 licenses can do for you, download our free Career Guide below.

New Call-to-action

Topics: Gas Technician Careers, Career Opportunities